What’s in regular Ski & Snowboard wax?
*PFCs are extremely potent greenhouse gases, and they are a long-term problem with a lifetime up to 50,000 years.
- Teflon & Flouro Carbons
**Polymer fume fever or fluoropolymer fever, also informally called Teflon flu, is an inhalation fever caused by the fumes released when Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, known under the trade name Teflon) is heated to between 300 °C and 450 °C.
- Carcinogens(cancer causing) & Toxic substances
Carcinogens are toxic substances which can cause cancer and contribute to un-natural cell deaths in humans, animals and plants.
- Chlorines, Solvents, Chemical Pollutants
***General health hazards associated with solvent exposure include toxicity to the nervous system, reproductive damage, liver and kidney damage, respiratory impairment, cancer, and dermatitis.
In 2010, we are living in a world where we have the alternatives, yet, whether from traditional or programmed consumerism we are naturally “comfort buying” the products which may not be so good for us or the environment. The fact that you are reading this goes to show that you are taking the next step, gaining knowledge about the day to day products you are using and the responsibilities we have toward Earth….and we commend you!
The 2010 SIA (SnowSports Industry of America) Participation Study estimated 20.5 million snow sports enthusiasts each season in the USA alone. Every run on any given day, every season. We…skiers and snowboarders in the multi-millions world wide, leave a trail of wax debris from skis and snowboards which get scraped off of our equipment and wait patiently to be composted by the course of nature. The problem is, most often than not, we are using the standard waxes that contain many harmful ingredients which cannot be broken down. These in turn remain in their full toxic potency and flow into our natural habitats, our water sources(our drinking water, which is only 1% of all the worlds water combined), and affect the animals that we live among. We wonder why glaciers are melting, why animals and plants are becoming extinct, and why global warming is taking effect on our mountains…Coating the mountains with these substances is like putting a huge plastic bag over the mountains. It is no wonder these things are happening. Also dont forget, the fumes we breath in when we simply wax our skis or snowboards is hazardous too!
We are able to change the way we live, so why dont we?.. With Chocowax, the ultimate goal isn’t to invade the snowsports with a new “Fad” product, and we aren’t here to make enemies….We are striving to be the Lifestyle based product option… We are proud to be amongst many other companies whom enable a choice to the consumer. If major wax companies would make the change, or at least add Eco-alternatives to their product line for their customers, this would be a huge positive change!
Yosuke Henry Hamazaki – Founder
1.Aslam M, Khalil K, Rasmussen RA, et al. (October 2003). “Atmospheric perfluorocarbons”. Environ. Sci. Technol. 37 (19): 4358–61. doi:10.1021/es030327a. PMID 14572085.
2.(Wikipedia) Athan, Mattie Sue, Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot, p. 126, Barron’s Educational Service, 1993, ISBN 0-8120-4996-9
3. U.S. Department of Labor > Occupational Safety & Health Administration > Solvents Page current as of: 29 August 2007
What makes Chocowax different?
How it started…
“ In 1989 we opened up a little family run ski shop in the Whistler Village catering to clients with retail, equipment rental and tune-up services called Whistler Gifts & Sports(Now TMC FREERIDERZ). Our shop was getting smoky and it was hurting our throats day in and day out. We asked ourselves if it was just cold season(because of the lack of information about wax) or if it was the wax fumes. It was the wax! So with careful studying and customer feedback we conjured up a universal wax that clients and ourselves would enjoy up on the slopes. In 2003, we added our “chocolate scent” and the rest was history!…to this day, we are always welcoming new eco-friendly products to the blend, and we value each and every riders’ valued feedback. So if you find new eco-Alternatives….we’re all ears! Let’s work together to make a change”
– Yosuke Henry Hamazaki / Founder / Rider
Chocowax Blends the following ingredients to produce our High Performance waxes:
About MinusIon Wax blend:
- All Natural blend of Negative Ion malgamation
- derived from plants and flowers.
- contain biologically produced fatty acids
- bond with positive ions(dust, old airparticles, mold) in air when waxing
- oppose other negatively charged ions (oppose friction on snow)
About EcoPalm Wax:
Are all NATURAL and biodegradable.
- Among the hardest of natural waxes( harder than concrete in its pure form!)
- Hypoallergenic and Emollient
- Relative density is about 0.97
- aliphatic esters (40 wt%), diesters of 4-hydroxycinnamic acid (21.0 wt%),
- ω-hydroxycarboxylic acids (13.0 wt%), and fatty acid alcohols (12 wt%).
About EcoSoya™ wax:
- Are 100% vegetable, made with Pure Soybean oil.
- Are all NATURAL and biodegradable.
- Are manufactured meeting FDA and Kosher standards.
- Contain NO petroleum, paraffin products.
- Contain NO pesticides and NO herbicides.
- Contain NO toxic materials.
- Contain NO Genetically Modified Material.
- Are NOT subject to animal testing.
- Is considered GRAS under the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act
- EWF(European Wax Federation) states inheritably biodegreadable by OEC guidelines.
- Compostable (same as levels as the leaves on the ground!)
- Odourless, Non-toxic and Non-carcinogenic (from Long term FDA test results)
- Free of PDC(perfluorocarbons) or Teflon
- Food grade